Monday, April 23, 2007

Pasta E Fagioli (Pasta with Bean Broth)

This recipes rocks and I made it up. Ok maybe not but I altered it and I'm sure it is even better than the original recipe. The original recipe is from 'Nonna's Italian Kitchen' by Bryanna Clark Grogan but I got it from the Vegan food website. For those of you who have the cookbook I would love to know what it's like I've never seen it in a bookstore in Melbourne to be able to flick through it. I love the look of Bryanna's recipes online but they always look too labour intensive for lazy me.

Anyway here is my slightly altered version. Next time I will double the recipe so that there is enough for leftovers for Mr T and I.

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 carrot, chopped
    • 2 stalks celery, chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 2 x 480 g / 17 oz cans cannellini beans
    • 1 1/5-2 cups of vegetarian stock
    • 1 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
    • 2 T chopped fresh Italian parsley (don't even think about using inferior regular parsley)
    • 1 t Italian dried herbs
    • 450 g / 1 lb pasta, such as farfalle (bows), penne or ziti

METHOD
Put a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.

In a large non-stick or lightly oiled pot, steam-fry the carrot, celery and garlic in their juices for 3-4 minutes. Add the beans, broth, parsley, sun dried tomatoes and herbs. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente. Drain the pasta and add to the pot with the vegetables. Taste for seasoning. Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of parsley and soy parmesan and crusty bread on the side.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a vegan in Townsville and I found your blog when I was googling Australian vegans.

    I love tweaking recipes and then calling them my own. It's probably not cool for the people that wrote them, but recipes are guides rather than strict rules, in my opinion.

    Which one is Italian parsley? The flat leafed one or the crazy frilly one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flat leafed one. I always used to use the frilly one but I really do think the flat leafed one is superior.

    Wow a vegan in townsville, are there many there that you know of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all. I know of a nearly-vegan old lady who lives way out of town, and I've seen "meat is murder" stickers around campus, so I think there might be more of us, but not many.

    The flat leafed one is the one I have growing, so I'm glad to hear someone else who thinks it's superior.

    ReplyDelete