Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Shark's Tail Fish and Chippery, Sunshine West

I used to love potato cakes, even slightly dodgy ones from food courts that had been sitting there for hours. This love may have started in my first part time job as a teenager in a fish and chip shop. When I first was diagnosed coeliac I started craving them even more. I did indulge once when a friend made some gf ones for a potluck but aside from that have kept craving them. Unfortunately we don't deep fry at home so that wasn't an option. Thankfully there is a fish and chip shop which makes gluten free potato cakes and they use vegetable oil and a seperate fryer for gf items.  They have been offering gluten free options for about 4 years.,



I went today and got two gluten free potato cakes. The batter was super crunchy and oh so perfect. I doubt anyone would ever guess they were gluten free. I also got some minimal chips which was a generous serve and had the perfect ratio of crunchy and soft chips. I had two colleagues help me finish the chips who gave them a thumbs up.





Everything with an asterisk can be made gluten free, plus lots of fish of course. I will be trying their onion rings and pineapple or banana fritters in the near future. I'm thinking a quick visit her before or after the beach on hot summer days.



They are located close to a ring road exit but doubt they are close to public transport.

Shark's Tail Fish & Chippery
shop 1/136 the avenue
West Sunshine
Open 7 days
9360 5522

For more possible gf options at fish and chip shops check out Gluten Schmooten's list.

3 comments:

  1. OMG Onion rings! Yummo. Those potato cakes look so good and crunchy. We got chips on the weekend from a place only 5 minutes walk from our house, and they were not that good and a small serve. Disappointing, but probably good to not have a great chip shop within walking distance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I wouldn't mind a nice gf vegan potato cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds great - I love potato cakes - just try to stay away for health - otherwise I could eat them a lot - so so good - glad you have found some gf ones (by the way - sorry we missed seeing you at the potluck)

    ReplyDelete