Monday, April 10, 2006

Food Clarity

I've been thinking a lot about food lately. Well rather others thoughts about food. My theory is this: the majority of the population don't think much about what they shovel down their throat. They certainly don't see it in terms of what nutrition it gives you. Also little thought is given to where animals products come from (but thats another story). Instead, it something that has to be done quickly and often on the go. I remember when I first moved to Hong Kong how amazed I was by the fact that eating on the run didn't seem to be the thing to do. Even when people are eating foods from those stands (eg: fish ball stands) they tend to be stand around it eating it close by. I rarely saw anyone walking and eating or eating on the MTR or other public transport or anywhere rather than in restuarants or their homes. And this is Hong Kong fast paced Hong Kong.

I finally get it now though and this is going to seem so simple but food is fuel for our bodies, and minds.

Yes food also provides comfort among other things. I think the other problem is for people this becomes more about comfort than fuel for ourselves.

I used to be the same.

Not anymore though. I finally get it! Although it took me getting pretty sick (a few years) ago to get it.

Drinking on the other hand I still struggle with. I seem to forget to drink a lot of the times and I still struggle with water in particular but I'm learning slowly.

Anyway back to food. Last night I made miso soup. I've always eaten the instant type which is yummy. Now I realise it's kind of silly though because miso soup is perhaps the quickest and easiest type of soup to make.

I combined a few recipes and basically threw in some kale/chinese broccoli (instead of seaweed), carots into some water and cooked it for about 15 minutes. Then added the tofu, miso paste, and spring onions and cooked for a few minutes and whola it was finised and yummy and very good for you.

According to whole foods:

a little miso goes a long way towards providing your daily needs for the trace minerals zinc, manganese, and copper. In addition, a single tablespoon of miso contains 2 grams of protein for just 25 calories


I've also read somewhere that miso is supposed to be better than chicken soup for colds.

No comments:

Post a Comment