Saturday, April 9, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Tart

So it's probably no surprise to anyone that chocolate and peanut butter are my favourite combo, but pretzels have also been a bit of an addiction since high school.  Since going gluten free i've simple changed to Eskal gluten free pretzels. They had a chemical taste when I first started eating them but now I love them. So when Manifest Vegan posted this recipe, I couldn't resist making it since it combined my three favourite things.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Tartlets/Tart by Manifest Vegan

I doubled the recipe below to make one large tart instead of individual ones, I used two packets of eskal gluten free pretzels which may be a tiny bit over the amount.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cup gluten free pretzels
  • 6 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp softened vegan margarine
  • 2 tbsp organic sugar
  • 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup coconut cream
  • 1 cup almond milk

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Gather about twelve 2″ tart pans.
  2. Combine crushed pretzels, 6 tbsp margarine, and sugar together until well mixed. Make sure there are no lumps–when pressed the mixture should somewhat hold its shape. You may need to add a touch more margarine if it feels too crumbly… but just about a tablespoon or so.
  3. Press crumbs into tart pans, making an even crust that is about 1/4-1/3 of an inch thick. Handle with care…
  4. Bake in preheated oven about 12 minutes, or until dark golden brown.
  5. Remove tart shells from oven and let cool on wire racks.
  6. Once crusts are cool, begin making your filling.
  7. Place chocolate chips into a medium sized bowl.
  8. Combine peanut butter, coconut cream and almond milk in small saucepan.
  9. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly using a wire whisk.
  10. Once the mixture comes to a “boil” (or better described as “plopping”) and is very hot, pour over chocolate chips, stirring quickly to melt.
  11. Use a deep spoon to transfer the chocolate/peanut butter mixture into the tart shells.
  12. The chocolate mix should be pretty thick, a lot like pudding. In fact, it makes a pretty good pudding… try it!
  13. Let cool at room temp for about an hour and then chill in fridge.
  14. Store in refrigerator and serve cold.

I can't remember how long I baked it for because I took it out checked it a few times and then placed in back in the oven, it was probably about double the time. Here is the crust:



I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the whole complete tart!

This was delicious, but super intense so I think the recipe is probably better suited to tartlets. I love the tiny bit of saltiness this adds to the rich chocolate peanut butter combo. I'm impressed with the texture of choc peanut butter mix, it sets really well. Although, the crust was a tiny bit soggy, so I'm not sure if I didn't bake it long enough or that the brand of gf pretzels were not as great as the ones that Allyson used.


10 comments:

  1. Oh so delicious. If only I could have been in the neighbourhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked this on Manifest Vegan's site, then forgot about it! Considering that I could easily take you on in a competition about chocolate and peanut butter lovin', I really need to make this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good. I'm trying to decide on something to make for my graduation party next weekend, and this has made my decision much more difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks amazing. And so rich. I think I'll make it tomorrow for dessert. :)

    P.S. Don't forget to say hi when you come to Portland (if you have time)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm eating this right now. It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pretzels! they have never been on my radar much - I like them when crunchy but am especially in love with the soft bready kind

    that chocolate filling looks amazing though we are not big on peanuts in baking at the moment in our house since discovering sylvia is allergic! Wonder how it would go with other nut butters

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Manifest Vegan published this recipe on the day that I went ingredient shopping for your birthday mini-potluck, and I seriously thought about changing my plans. :-D

    I'm glad it didn't pass you by, and I'm very grateful that you shared it - it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious. I reckon I could take you AND Hannah on in a pb&c competition. That'd be a good blogger event (if it isn't already one).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious. I reckon I could take you AND Hannah on in a pb&c competition. That'd be a good blogger event (if it isn't already one).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, next time your in Melb I'll make you some :-)

    Hannah and Lexi your on!

    Michael and Cindy, glad you liked it.

    Geanna, it's not for the faint hearted and would love to meet up.

    Johanna, the author swears it would make a good mousse even without the pretzel base.

    ReplyDelete