Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mexican Salsa Verde

I spent most of the summer holidays renovating our kitchen and in amongst all the sawing and traffic my tomatillos were growing strong. I always try a few different plants every year and these really seemed to take off. 




My new Kitch  


As we had a nice sunny weekend and plenty of fresh produce I thought I would celebrate with salsa verde mexican style. 




Mexican Salsa Verde from Veganomicon
10 tomatillos (husks removed) cleaned and diced.
1 teaspoon of olive oil
3 cloves of garlic (my wife has an intolerance to garlic so I didn't use) 
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth/stock
juice of 1 lime
1 cup of loosely packed coriander/cilantro




Cook jalapeño (and garlic) in oil until fragrant, 
Add tomatillos and salt, sauté until they soften and release moisture.


Add stock, bring to boil and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes 
Cool down until not steaming and add coriander and lime juice.
Wizz up in a blender for 30 or so seconds  
Easy.

I had never tried tomatillos before and it was a refreshing change from a tomato based salsa. 
Definitely a fan!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great and it's so impressive that you used home-grown tomatillos. I love their tart flavour but have only tried the tinned ones. I might have to try and grow some next summer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great - and the pictures are all so sunny! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete