Sunday, March 25, 2012

White Chocolate Peanut Butter and PB Cups

I recently got some white chocolate peanut butter called 'white chocolate wonderful' from USA foods. The white chocolate part mostly consists of cocoa butter so the flavour it quite subtle, just like extra sweet peanut butter but still quite delicious. I used mine by adding it to rice cakes, putting it on pancakes with maple marinated strawberries and by making peanut butter cups.

I made a couple of these to help keep me awake at the wild flag show, which was amazing a few weeks ago. Sleater Kinney are perhaps my favourite band so I was so happy when Carrie Brownstein and Janet Weiss formed a new band with Rebecca Cole and Mary Timothy. I have a bit of a fan crush on Carrie Brownstein who you might know from Portlandia and thought both her and Mary were great performers. Heres a picture of Carrie, I took with my phone:

I then made some more yesterday to take to visit a friend of mine who had quite serious surgery.

White Choc Peanut Butter Cups recipe adapted from peanut butter co
 2 cups (about 12 ounces) chopped dark chocolate (I used whittaker)
¾ cup White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Special Equipment:

10 (2-inch) aluminum/tin foil muffin liners

Procedure

1. Place chocolate in the top of a double boiler (or make your own by setting a heat-proof bowl over a pot with 1-inch of water) over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce stove heat to low. Or melt in 30 seconds increments in microwave.

2. Continuously stir the chocolate until completely melted. Remove bowl from the heat and place on a heatproof surface.

3. Using a small spoon, “paint” the melted chocolate all over the insides of tin foil muffin liners (the tinfoil cups are easier to peel off than the paper cups). The layer of chocolate should be thick enough so that you cannot see through it, but thin enough that the paper cups remain upright and intact. You will not use all of the melted chocolate in this step.


4. Allow chocolate cups to cool and harden completely by placing on a tray in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. You can also complete this step the night before.

5. In a small bowl, stir together the White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter and vanilla extract until smooth.

6. Using a mini ice cream scoop or a small spoon, evenly divide the peanut butter between the hardened chocolate cups. Smooth the top to create an even surface.

7. If the remaining melted chocolate has hardened too much, simply repeat steps 1-2.

8. Evenly divide the remaining melted chocolate amongst the filled cups, smoothing the tops and making sure the chocolate reaches all the way to the edges in order to seal the cups.

9. Chill in the refrigerator until set, about 1-2 hours.


 
I loved these and wish I had made more. The original recipe asks for white chocolate in place of dark chocolate but I think the white chocolate peanut butter pairs so perfectly with slightly bitter dark chocolate. I did have some issues finding mini foil liners in the supermarket but eventually ended up finding some medium ones in iga.

5 comments:

  1. OH YES! I love that White Choco PB, my jar is almost gone! Apparently they also make a spicy PB now, gonna have to look for that since my beloved Wegmans carries that brand of PB! They also make a cinnamon/raisin one, but that's not as appealing to me as the others.

    I love your spin on the PB cups, maybe I'll try your way next time! I made some recently, too, if you are interested, and they are lazier than yours :-)

    http://veganfazool.blogspot.com/2012/02/chocolate-peanut-butter-cups.html

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my absolute favourite of all the PB&Co jars. I always demand my brother gets it for me whenever he's the the Moorabbin (sp?!) area :) These look so good! I've only ever finished off my jars by the spoonful. And I've had a lot of jars :P

    Hope you're feeling better, K! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, these look and sound amazing! And impressed that you did these when YOU were still recovering yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. white chocolate peanut butter sounds so interesting - and the peanut butter cups sound delicious - I must get out to USA Foods some time. Hope you are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool that you saw them - amazingly, even though Carrie lives in my city and the band is from the NW, I've never listened to them!

    Also, this recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete