Saturday, May 26, 2012

Lentil Quinoa Stew

I'm bacckkkkkkkkk. Or rather my camera is back.

This dish is a regular winter dish in our household. I can't believe I haven't blogged about it before. It ticks all of the boxes: healthy, cheap, delicious, easy and it's a one pot meal. I really wanted to caculate how much this soup was but was too tricky because a few things were out of the food co-op box, and the quinoa was bought in bulk from costco.

We served ours this week with some gf toast with margarine and nooch.

Lentil Quinoa Stew from La Dolce Vegan

1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 celery stalk, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
½ cup dry red lentils
¼ cup quinoa
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 medium tomato, diced
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup coriander, chopped (we often skip it or replace it with whatever we have on hand, we used parsley this week)

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion in oil until translucent. Add the celery, carrots and garlic and sauté for five minutes. Add the stock, lentils, quinoa, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover with lid and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender.

In a food processor or with a hand blender, blend half of the soup until smooth (I always skip this step since I like it with a bit of texture). Return to pot, stir in tomatoes, vinegar and coriander reheat and serve.



3 comments:

  1. I love it when you share your quick and easy recipes - this looks fantastic and I think I could make it with what I have about the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i recently started experimenting, putting quinoa into soups. and WOW! i love the way it enhances the texture (and nutritional value!) your soup looks and sounds delicious! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delicious, we make it all the time too!

    ReplyDelete