Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cherries!

With my recent 1kg cherry purchase, I started looking for cherry recipes. My friend Jo introduced me to the addictive way of eating cherries dipped in chocolate. I think cherries are awesome by themselves, but the chocolate transforms them again. I think they are even better than strawberries in chocolate. It's also a good way to use up Lindt 80% dark chocolate, because I think it's too bitter to eat by itself. I've tried them, refrigerated, partially frozen and completely frozen, and I think Jo's right, partially frozen is the way to go. Completely frozen is a little too hard on the teeth and refrigerated is just boring. To make them simply wash and dry cherries then dip in melted chocolate and place in the freezer for a short period of time- say 15 minutes.
I didn't dry the cherries the first time which is why they are a little ugly here

I also continued with my ice cream making obsession and made coconut ice cream from vegan scoop, and added chopped cherries and choc chips. This was good, but in no way competes with the greatest ice cream ever (see below) or with bounty flavoured fritz gelato. I think the coconut extract leaves a slightly weird flavour. The recipes asked for flaked coconut but I skipped it. This is also soy free since it uses coconut milk.

do you like my strawberry bowl? it's the closest I have to cherries

4 comments:

  1. I would like to eat everything in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm love cherries - feel we are on the tail end of the season and I haven't eaten enough nor cooked with them enough - the cherries dipped in chocolate looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that strawberry bowl is gorgeous! I've never been a fan of chocolate-dipped strawberries but I can see this working.

    Though if you run out of cherries with which to use up your dark Lindt, feel free to release it into my keeping :D I love the darker Lindts, and just fell in love with the 90% available here in the US...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohhh I have a great recipe for black forrest sauce, including cherries.

    1 avocado
    2 T cacao powder or cocoa powder
    2 T agave nectar or honey
    1/2 cup of water
    1/2 cup of pitted cherries
    Blend and serve over fresh cherries.

    Guilt free and indulgent!

    If you need more sweetening

    ReplyDelete