Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"Battered" Fried Chickpeas


Excuse these horrible photos!

I've tried a few times to make baked chickpeas like the ones you can buy in the supermarket, but they always end up a soggy dissapointment. Thankfully I've found a way around it. These pan fried chickpeas are not as crunchy but they have a slightly crisp outer shell and still remain soft inside. I actually prefer the texture of these. I've made them several times and each time adapt the seasoning to include garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. I normally serve it with some gluten free pasta, basic lemon-olive oil dressing and some cheezy and some veggies (broccoli thrown into pasta water). Its a pretty fast weeknight meal if you used canned chickpeas.

"Battered” Fried Chickpeas from Oh She Glows
Yield: 1.5 cups (I normally make a triple batch)

Ingredients:

    1 tbsp oil
    1 (15-oz or 450gram) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2-2.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp Herbamare (or use kosher salt)
    freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional

1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.

2. Meanwhile, drain and rinse the chickpeas. When the skillet has pre-heated (chickpeas should sizzle on it), carefully add the drained chickpeas to the skillet. Be very careful as they will sizzle and crackle in the oil and it may splash you.

3. Fry the chickpeas, stirring every 20 seconds or so, over medium heat. After a few minutes, stir in the rest of the ingredients to taste. The chickpeas will have a thin coating on them. Fry for about 5-6 more minutes, stirring frequently and making sure they don’t burn. If they are starting to burn, reduce heat. They should be golden and lightly charred in some parts.

Rilakkuma liked them too

5 comments:

  1. we are so into the roasted chickpeas at the supermarket lately that I must try these - I have tried roasting them and they were tasty but not crispy - though I remember mel at veganise this doing a post about how to make them crisp up

    ReplyDelete
  2. those sound so delicious! chickpeas are so fabulous -- this dish sounds right up my alley! thanks for shaaring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't made fried chickpeas in forever. we always roasted them, but they'd come out really dry. i'll have to saute them this time around. thanks for the super delicious idea, K - they look awesome to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Rilakkuma likes it, it's got to be good! How long will they keep for, or are they too tasty to worry about them lasting that long?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good idea! I've never tried baking them but I would much prefer my own because whatever flavouring/powders they put on the store bought ones gives me a sore throat. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete