Tuesday, March 16, 2010

G/F Potluck and Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

I can't believe it has taken me so long to blog about this potluck, but I have had a few distractions like getting super close to handing in my thesis and trying to put together a journal article submission, finishing up at two different offices (I've got a new job) and of course doing all of the cooking/housework, I miss your cooking Toby! To say things have been hectic would be an understatement. I'm also trying to complete the couch to 5km running plan, anyway enough whinging, just please excuse me if I'm not super attentive to your blogs for a little while.

Anyway, the potluck was awesome, it was so good to be able to eat everything and I didn't get sick afterward so no-one accidentally poisoned me :-) Several of the bloggers have already blogged about it including: Steph (twice), Cindy, Michael, Vicki (twice) and Johanna. As many of the other potluckers have pointed out, the original theme was cheese but changed to gluten free when I tested positive to coeliacs disease but some people did both themes.

I made blueberry iced rooiboss tea

Toby made goats cheese from vegan soiree, I've never had goats cheese before, but didn't like this at all, it was too sour for my liking. The texture was more like a loaf as a few people commented.

To make up for it, I tried to make another 'cheese' using this recipe from rawmazing at the last minute. This also didn't work out very well either, but I didn't soak the cashews.
The one dish that I was proud of was the blueberry cheesecake ice cream, the recipe is from a vegan ice cream paradise and was thick creamy and pretty damn yummy:

Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

2 c. Silk soy creamer (I used soy milk)
1 c. vegan cream cheese
¾ c. sugar
1 T. lemon juice
½ c. soy milk
2 T. arrowroot
1 t. vanilla

1 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/8 c. sugar
splash lemon juice

Combine soy creamer, cream cheese, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan. Heat and mix contents. It will take some whisking to break up the cream cheese and get it to dissolve. While heating, combine the ½ cup soy milk and 2 tablespoons arrowroot and set aside. Once the pan’s contents are boiling, take from heat and add soy milk–arrowroot mixture. The liquid should thicken quickly. Add vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.

Combine blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat until boiling and some blueberries have burst. Set aside to cool.

Freeze cream cheese mixture according to ice cream maker instructions. Add blueberries 5 minutes before end of freezing cycle.
Now on to the other dishes.

Cindy made raspberry coconut ice cream that was amazing:


Ivan made these healthy sweet balls that were made from dates and all sorts of other healthy things but were also yummy.

Vicki made sweet and moist carrot cake cupcakes
and "Cheese" and spinach rolls, Toby is so jealous that he didn't get to try one because I keep raving about them


Bec made a peach or pear pie, I forget but it warm and creamy



Craig made gluten free potato cakes because I keep telling him I have missed them and I have been craving more since then, so so so awesome!
Carla made a rice salad with sun dried tomatos, smoked tofu and all sorts of other lovely flavours and cupcakes which I didn't get a pic of.
Jo made pate and it even had a jelly layer on the top, so fancy and yummy and olive tapede. I want the pate recipe Jo please!
Shawna made brownies, so rich and delicious!!!!
Johanna also made brownies but made pumpkin cheesecake brownies, so unique and delicious:

Anikee made Italian rice and beans from vegan yum yum one of my favourite dishes and quinoa salad, or did someone else made the quinoa salad?

Michael made "colby cheese" and vegetarian sausages, I never thought I could eat another veg sausage and was super relived to find out that g/f versions exist:

There was so many dishes I didn't get pics of like the caramel slice, that was so amazing and Steph's delicious nacho cheese dip because I was too busy eating and eating and eating and eating. Thanks everyone for making it an inclusive potluck for me, it meant a lot!

6 comments:

  1. I really liked your cheese & your ice cream was amazing!! I think I am going to attempt Craig's potato cakes this weekend - they were the one food that I have really missed since being vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ice cream looks amazing! I had a blueberry cheesecake ice cream in the US< made by So Delicious, but it was disappointingly icy and bland. Yours looks creamy and diviiiiine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pate is the mushroom and walnut pate in Veganomicon. Reproduced here: http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/walnut-mushroom-pate.html

    Instead of "crimini" mushrooms, I used a mixture of button and swiss brown mushrooms. I also used fresh herbs instead of dried. I think next time I'll add a little red wine when cooking the mushrooms.

    The gelatinous layer was just agar powder, water, and tamari.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the food was so good! both ice creams were stand outs for me, and i'm also jealous i didn't get to try the spinach rolls :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are sooo lucky to have vegan friends! and friends who cook gluten free for you. I have no vegan or even veggie friends, although my bf enjoys vegan food.
    Pumpkin cheesecake brownies!? yummm! Although everything looks delicious.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I was there and didn't taste the icecream as it sounds so good - but I think I was just trying to leave all that good food - don't you wish that life is more like this picnic and less like all the food you are avoiding - it is amazing to realise it is possible! I did love that iced tea and the cheese dip and the goats cheese was yum with some of Michael's tomato sauce

    Good luck with all the life changes at the moment - sounds quite intense!

    ReplyDelete