I got some vegetarian kimchi from the korean supermarket opposite the victoria market on elizabeth street since my lost asian supermarket only stocked non veg kimchi. It's huge but I wanted to make a few things with it!
Kimchi Pancakes - Kimchijeon from maagnchi. She has a video too!
1 cup of chopped kimchi
3 tbs of kimchi juice (I used about 1 and half)
2 tbs chopped onion ( I skipped this)
½ ts salt
½ ts sugar
½ cup flour (all purpose flour) (I used brown rice flour to make it gluten free)
¼ cup of water
- Mix all ingredients in bowl
- Heat up a non-stick pan over medium high heat and drizzle about 2 tbs oil.
- Place the mixture of kimchi pancake batter on the pan and spread it thinly and evenly with a spoon.
- Cook it for 1-1 ½ minutes until the bottom gets golden brown and crispy.
- Turn it over with a spatula or flip it.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for another 1½ minutes.
- Turn it over one more time and cook for 30 seconds before transfering it to a serving plate.
Mine kind of fell apart a little when I tried to flip it which just meant that I didn't need to cut it. I served it with mayo and fried onions. I would love some spring onions on it though like maanghci did. Next time I might also use a little less kimchi as it was slightly too spicy for Toby and more veggies, am thinking shredded carrots, zuhhini etc. I really can't believe how easy it is though!
My next post is korean inspired too, just need some korean desserts to keep with this weeks theme, any suggestions?