Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Almost Raw Blueberry Cheesecake



I've been doing pretty well with the reduced sugar resolution by trying to focus more on fruit and occasionally eating desserts like this. But its only 10 days in, so will see how I go.

The original recipe was called bluberry cardamon cheesecake and asked for lots of cardamon but I was worried I was going to overdo it so the cardamon ended up being so subtle that you couldn't really notice it.

Bluberry Cheesecake by Sweetly Raw.


Crust:
1 cup walnuts (I used almonds)
2/3 cup pitted, packed dates

Grind both ingredients together in a food processor.
Add 1 teaspoon of water if the mixture is too crumbly.
Press the crust into pan/s of choice. I used a pie plate but think mini ones would be cuter. Set aside.

Filling:

3 cups blueberries
1 1/2 cups cashews
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (can use much more for strong flavour)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3-4 tablespoons melted cacao butter

In a blender, combine all but the cacao butter, until completely smooth and creamy. 
Add the butter and blend again to incorporate. 
Pour the mixture over the crust(s)
Chill in the fridge or freezer until firm.

I loved this recipe, it makes such a rich dessert that you don't need to eat much. I love the colour too. It does make quite a lot so feel free to halve the recipe unless you are sharing. I think its pretty similar to yongs's blueberry cheesecake although perhaps not quite as solid in texture on top.
 
We shared some with our friend Eve while she taught us mahjong and still had lots leftover for the next 3 days. Mahjong is hard and I currently suck at it, although I did win one round with this hand with lots of help from Eve:

4 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks gorgeous. It's been too long since I've made a Raw dessert, I'm going to try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me of a blueberry larabar! it looks delicious! enjoy your bit of sweetness, you deserve it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been off sugar since mid-September, and I'm around it all the time, baking. This would be the perfect dessert just for me and the husband. Also, I feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds like a great way to live without sugar!

    ReplyDelete