Sunday, October 30, 2011

Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream with Spinach Food Colouring-Vegan Mofo Day 30

This photo is a bit crappola but I was in a rush, can you see the pale green colour?

I've had this recipe bookmarked since Feb 2010, some times it takes a while for me to get to my bookmarks, does anyone else have that problem? This is the other dessert I am taking a way with us. I had a few issues with this recipes because I tried to use the food processor to blend it together and of course it leaked, so make sure you use a blender!!!! Also I found the texture to be not quite the same as the regular ice creams I make due to the absence of arrowroot but taste wise it is great and the spinach really does make it look a pale green and you wouldn't guess it was in it.

Surprise Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream from gluten free easily
2 3/4 cups full-fat coconut milk, chilled
1/3 cup to 2/3 cup agave (to taste)
1/8 cup fresh spinach (the surprise ingredient! I used baby spinach leaves and discarded the stems)
1 tbsp peppermint schnapps (or 2 tsp peppermint extract-also to taste)
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips (use only about 1/2 cup if using regular-sized chocolate chips)
Mix ingredients except for chocolate chips in blender until there are no visible particles from the spinach leaves. Pour into ice cream maker. Churn for 20 minutes. Add chocolate chips and churn another 2 minutes until chips are mixed in.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! The color really is the problem with homemade mint chocolate chip icecream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... spinach for color!?! What a great idea : ) Sounds delicious. I think an ice cream maker will be making an appearance in my x-mas wishlist this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wondered about spinach in sweet food to make it green - glad to see it works - and this was my favourite icecream when I was little - never have it now as I rarely have ice cream but it still makes me feel nostalgic

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great, mint chocolate chip ice cream's my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got an ice cream maker for my bday last week, and I am SO making this! Mint Chip was my favorite growing up. Thanks for posting this, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of adding spinach to ice cream, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, I'm blown away by the spinach in this recipe, yet it's so genius - if there's enough mint extract, you won't be able to taste it. So cool! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was DELICIOUS. I'm going to bookmark it and make it again myself sometime... but we'll see how long it similarly sits in my delicious account before I get to it. :-P

    ReplyDelete