Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Raw Cherry Bombs- Vegan Mofo Day 26


 This week friends Lidia and Lachie had us over for dinner and I agreed to bring desserts. I know Lidia is into healthy food, so decided to make another raw dessert. This was perfect as we had everything already and it was pretty quick and easy. I was a bit disappointed initially that the filling wasn't sweet enough, so I rolled the balls in coconut sugar. I'm obsessed with that stuff and also don't know what else to do with it, any suggestions?

But after a few bites, I started to enjoy them, they have quite a strong coconut flavour from the oil and both Lachie and Lidia enjoyed them. Toby said he enjoyed them more than the cake pops but I'm not so sure. I wanted to make these into cake pops but it didn't work due to the cherry in the middle, also the mixture falls apart quite easily so stick to small bites.

Raw Cherry Bombs from Bakery Manis

1 cup Brazil nuts 1 cup cashews
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp non-alcohol vanilla extract
1 tsp + 2 tsp agave, divided
pinch sea salt
½ cup dried cherries
1/3 cup raw cacao butter, chopped
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
  1. Grind the Brazil nuts cashews in the processor until sandy textured. Add in coconut oil, vanilla, 1 tsp agave, and salt.  Blend until smooth like a nut butter; add a few dashes of oil if it seems dry.
  2. Scrape from the bowl and shape into nickel-sized (1cm) balls. Squish a dried cherry into each ball.  Freeze for half hour.
  3. Chop the cacao butter carefully and add to a large glass bowl.
  4. Boil a saucepan of water, and place the bowl over the hot water until cacao butter melts completel.
  5. Gently stir in the cacao powder and 2 tsp agave and whisk until smooth. Let cool.
  6. Line a plate or baking sheet with waxed or parchment paper. Dip each nut-cherry ball gently into the chocolate, covering entirely.  Freeze to set the chocolate, about 20 minutes. Store in the fridge.
 

5 comments:

  1. these look great - I immediately thought cake pops because I just am into sticks lately - but I can see why not - did you use sour dried cherries - I need to find a new source for these but keep forgetting to check the shops near us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have dried cherries on my list to find to make some almond cookies Mandee had posted about, looks like i need to add coconut sugar to my list so i can give these a go. i've never used coconut sugar before - i'm excited to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the name of this post, I thought I was about to post something very similar, but nope. Yours is amazing and complicated and fancypants and mine is.... cherries and nuts :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good. I'll have to track down some dried cherries so I can give them a go.

    ReplyDelete