Thursday, April 30, 2009

'Tuna' Patties

For the latest potluck, I decided to veganise a childhood favourite: tuna patties and I have never been more proud of making something. It was also my first time making something savoury for a potluck so I was doubly proud. I purchased some 'tuna' from vincents which has just the right amount of fishyness although it is quite oily and bright orange. They were a bit time consuming to make but I think it is worth it since it makes so many and tastes exactly as I remember them to be. The only changes that I have made to the recipe is to change the type of cheezly, I used Morrazella which I find really mild whereas I think the cheddar will stand out a little more. I also recommend draining on paper towels which I didn't have so they were quite oily. Anyway here's my recipe:

1 packet of Cheddar cheezly, grated
1 packet of 'tuna', shredded (you can do this with your hands)
1 batch of the cheezy sauce from Dianne's cheezy broccoli/cauliflower
1 carrot, grated
1 capscium, chopped
1 onion, chopped
breadcrumbs (I used the Organ gluten free ones)

Mix capscium, onion and carrot in bowl and add the cheezy sauce, it acts almost like a binder. Then add cheezly and tuna and mix again. Roll into balls and then cover in breadcrumbs. Fry both sides for a few minutes until browned. Put on paper towels to drain and then serve.

Makes 30 small patties.

Mini ones for the potluck

Large ones for home. Sorry about the quality of pictures, it's always dark now!

Ok off to yet another potluck!

4 comments:

  1. You Melbournians are potluck crazy! I'm having a mini potluck on Wednesday and am taking inspiration from all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great - I wish I'd been there to taste them! Michael and I are long overdue for a visit to Vincent's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa, it's great. Next time you come to Melb we should throw one for you!

    Cindy, you really must go, next time I go I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... and now that you've helped me out with the Vincent's part, I've made the patties. :-)

    They are delicious, and Michael loved them too!

    ReplyDelete