Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Matthew's Delicious Tofu -On Regular Rotation

I seem to have gotten into a bad habit of not blogging the meals that we make in our household regularly and the cafes that we go to regularly. But I'm trying to change that, starting with this recipe. We probably make this on a fortnightly-monthly basis, because it easily adaptable, we have it over rice or noodles and have even had it over mashed potatoes (see pic below). We add in whatever veggies and crushed nuts that we have. The dish is great because it's easy, quick and it has a great combination of sweet, sour, and salty flavours, plus a tiny bit of heat. Also, we always seem to have the essential ingredients like garlic, maple syrup, lemons and tamari. I don't think we ever measure the sauces, we just add all of the flavours and then taste to adjust. So feel free to play around with it.

This is from The Garden of Vegan, one of the first cookbooks that I got as a new vegan. It's titled "Matthew's delicious tofu" (page 120) which always make me laugh because my brother's name is Matthew and he hates tofu. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

1lb medium tofu (about 450 grams)
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
1/4 tsp dried chilli or 1 tsp Asian chilli sauce
1/8 cup maple syrup
1/8 cup Braggs (or Tamari)
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 dry roasted almonds, chopped

Saute tofu in oil until browned. Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, ginger and chilli. Saute for 5 minutes. Add maple syrup, braggs and lemon juice. Cover and cook until liquid has evaporated. Garnish with almonds. Serve over rice or noodles.


Over mashed potatoes with more sauce but no nuts

Over rice with peanuts

5 comments:

  1. That looks great, I have all the ingredients so am going to make it with noodles tomorrow night. I also hardly ever post about the meals that we eat regularly or the ones that I think are boring but we really enjoy, probably should though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Does this dish meet Toby's protein requirements? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chilli, maple syrup, tamari... this sounds delicious and, even better, deliciously simple. I love seeing "regular" meals on blogs - one can feel sure that the end result will be worth it! (Okay, not the best sentence I've ever written, but I'm a leeeeetle bit tired.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki, I'm glad that I'm not the only one. The weird thing is I'm more likely to try recipes like this then complicated ones that can't be made on a weeknight. So you should post yours too :-)

    Veganator, it sure does!

    Hannah, I love deliciously simple recipes too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if it is regular than it must be easy and tasty - but how easy is it to take these meals for granted - I loved marinated tofu - used to do it a lot and now I keep searching for the recipes I used to use but it was before blogging and I can't remember

    ReplyDelete