The star of the night however was this taco filling that Toby made, it was fantastic. We did purchase some sweet smoked paprika (the one in the can with the corny looking couple on the front) and Spanish oregano from Casa Iberica, so not sure how much of a part the two herbs played. We realised that the smoked paprika smells like Trippy Taco fries.
Anyway on the recipe, it's pretty simple, punching with flavour and I think superior to Trippy Taco's tofu filling. It was inspired from this recipe here, but we made a few changes including substituting the taco seasoning for this:
1 part garlic powder (We substituted more onion powder cos of Bec's allergic to garlic)
1 part onion powder
1 part oregano (using the fancy Spanish one)
1 part paprika (using the fancy Spanish one)
1 part tsp salt
1 part pepper
1 part chilli powder
2 part cumin
And the rest of the recipe, although we recommend doubling it, so you have plenty:
- 1 pack of dry tofu (from the Asian grocery store)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons of taco seasoning above (we made plenty so that we has some leftover)
- 2 1/2 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- First, open and drain package of tofu.
- Mash tofu with a fork.
- After the tofu is sufficiently mashed, add 3/4 cup of chopped onions. Mix onions and mashed tofu well.
- Stir the 2 tbsp of oil into the tofu and onion mixture, coating it evenly.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and get it really hot on a burner. When the cooking oil makes a sizzling noise, transfer tofu and onion mixture into the hot pan.
- Cook it on high for a minute and then turn it down to medium heat.
- Take 2 1/2 tbsp tamari and pour it over tofu and onion mix, then stir.
- Add taco seasoning.
- After blending the taco seasoning with the tofu mixture, evenly pour 1/4 cup of water over your mix. Stir with spatula or spoon for even coverage.
- Add nutritional yeast.
- Cook the whole seasoned tofu mixture on medium heat for a total of around half and hour to blend flavors and make onions approach caramelization. Don't put a lid on it; let the moisture evaporate. Check on it every 5 minutes or so and stir.
- At the end of the approximately 25-30 minutes mash the tofu mixture flat in the pan, sprinkle lime juice then flip over the flattened mixture as though it were a pancake , do it in 4 or 5 segments. Then mash it flat again, turn the heat up to medium high, and cook it for 4-5 minutes on med high.
- Turn over segments of flattened mixture, re-flatten, and cook for another 4-5 minutes. These last 2 steps are to dry out and brown the mixture a bit.