Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Candy Cane Fudge and Mushroom Tarragon Pate

So it turns out we don't have any pictures of Toby's ice cream dish or his xmas potluck dish. Yes we had two potlucks this weekend! A ice cream one on Saturday and xmas themed potluck on Sunday. For the ice cream potluck Toby made a super alcoholic large version of the frozen margarita pie that I made last time. Except this time he made the ice cream using the lime recipe from vegan scoop. For the xmas potluck he made this:

 Mushroom and Tarragon Pate using this recipe from BBC.
  • 50g margarine
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 1 leek finely chopped (he used a regular onion)
  • 2 garlic cloves crushed
  • 100g chestnut mushrooms , finely chopped (he used button mushrooms)
  • 100g shiitake mushrooms , finely chopped
  • 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
  • 2 tbsp crème fraîche (see vegan version below)
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon plus extra to garnish(he used dried)
  1. Heat butter in a large frying pan. Add shallots, leek and garlic, then gently fry for 7 mins until softened.
  2. Increase the heat, add the chestnut and the shiitake mushrooms, then cook for 10 mins, stirring, until the juices have evaporated and the mushrooms are tender. Stir in the mustard and crème fraîche, then season well. Cook for a further 2 mins then stir in the chopped tarragon.

Almond Creme Fraiche loosely based on recipe for cashew cream fraiche from Vegan Epicurean.

Makes approximately 20 tablespoons (he made much less)

Ingredients:

1 cup almond meal
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (start with half)
1 pinch of salt (optional)
approximately ½ cup of water to process

Directions:

Place the almond meal,  half the apple cider vinegar and salt in your blender and turn the machine in. Add water slowly until the cashews have just been liquefied. Stop the machine and taste the mixture and adjust the flavors to your taste. Refrigerate until needed.

I quite liked the pate despite my mushroom texture issues and Toby loved it.

I was exhausted by Sunday so I opted to make something which I thought was easy and quick for the Xmas potluck. This Candy Cane Fudge from A profound Hatred of Meat.



 I loved the simple idea of adding crushed candy canes on top. I had all sorts of issues with the fudge though. First, I almost the burnt the coconut milk, then had to use the kitchen aid to mix it together but it was still too dry. So I ended up adding more and more coconut milk and then in the end you couldn't get it out of the pan. It also results in way too many dishes for such a simple dish. I think next time I would opt to make the five minute fudge from my sweet vegan and just add the candy canes to that.

Check out what fat fueled vegan made for the ice cream potluck, and Lisa's post about the her dish at the xmas potluck and hopefully there will be more recipes posted online!  

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the mushroom pate but thought it was eggplant - something I do easily. The fudge was more of a favourite, I must confess - E said he could have taken the whole lot home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I loved eating the leftover fudge yesterday - it had a nice minty flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm sad we don't get a post about Toby's pie! I ate it with the cherries and coconut that Erin brought and they were awesome together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I want some of all of this! (Although my don't-often-drink self might be bowled over by the alcoholic ice cream.) Have bookmarked this post for the pate - sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh those crushed candycanes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Johanna:

    I'm glad that you like it!

    @Cindy:

    http://inthemoodfornoodles.blogspot.com/2010/11/gluten-free-frozen-margarita-pie-with.html

    ReplyDelete