Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Gluten Free Frozen Margarita Pie with Tequila- Vegan Mofo Day 30

I really wanted to finish vegan mofo with something original and awesome and I think this easily fits the bill.

Toby gets the credit for finding this recipe after I stomped around the house saying that we need to make something amazing for the last day of vegan mofo last night. I found plenty of recipes but they all required a visit to Radical Grocery or the Asian supermarket and both were closed by this stage. This recipe actually comes from the examiner and rocks. Am I getting to old to say 'rocks'? It's salty, sweet, sour, alcoholic, creamy, crunchy all in one!

We used Eskal brand gluten free pretzels which I am addicted to. I hated them when I first went gluten free but now prefer them to gluteny pretzels. We also halved the recipe which made enough for four small ramekins and used less tequila but next time will use the full amount. Part of me thought I might hate this but it was fantastic and I think I am hooked on the idea of salty pretzels in desserts!

Gluten Free Vegan Frozen Margarita Pie with Tequila
 For the crust:
- 2 ½ cups of small salted pretzels, finely crushed (use a rolling pin or put them in the food processor)
- ½ cup vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the pie filling:
- 6 cups So Good vanilla nondairy frozen dessert
- ¼ cup tequila
- 3 tbsp frozen margarita mix (or limeade mix) ( I just used more lime juice mixed with a teaspoon of icing sugar)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
Directions for Frozen Vegan Margarita Pie
To make the crust, stir together the crushed pretzels, sugar, and melted margarine. Press into the bottom and against the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Freeze the crust for at least an hour. We only put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes but it didn't seem to matter.

For the filling, let the vegan ice cream soften so that it is easy to work with. Stir in the tequila, margarita mix, and lime juice and blend everything very well. (You can do this in a food processor if you like.) Spoon into the frozen pretzel crust, cover with waxed paper, and freeze until firm.


Let the pie stand for a few minutes before serving so it’s easy to slice.
 
Vegan Mofo has been a blast, we have managed to blog every day for a month, that's 27 posts by me and 3 from Toby, but who's counting? It has forced us to be way more creative and try more recipes than we regularly do and has been a nice distraction when other things have been stressful. But I now look forward to having a few days off blogging, having slightly more time on my hands, checking out some of the other mofo blogs that I haven't already and making tired old favourites that we have previously blogged about.

9 comments:

  1. What a kickarse dessert and a great way to end MOFO! Well done on blogging every day. I've enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, yummy. I bet this would be good with some cointreau in it, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not into tequila but I love Theresa's suggestion of cointreau - and I do love the idea of this dessert - great way to end your mofo - am so impressed at all your mofo blogging - and glad Toby could contribute to the final post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on 30 days of posting, really impressive and great entries. This dessert looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making the MoFo round-up today! This dessert looks aaaamaazing! I make a frozen caramel-brittle dessert but this just looks so refreshing and EASY. Bookmarked and will make for sure! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my word! I want to make this pronto! Thanks for a nice post. I can't believe I just discovered ya'll on the last day of Vegan mofo, but better late than never right? I plant to keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah ha! At last another use for my left-over tequila that I bought solely for the purpose of cooking (I made a latino-type lime sauce from Robin Robertson's Fire & Spice). So perfect for the silly season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! That looks so good. I like the dishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone!

    I think other alcohol would work fine, although maybe not give it some margarita taste.

    Georgie, I was pleased too because I had tequila for the same purpose :-)

    Noelle, thanks *blushes*

    Omgoshi'mvegan thanks, I got them cheap at a op shop /thrift store.

    ReplyDelete