Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dan's GF Vegan Mug Cake- 3 Versions

I'm sure most of you have seen the mug cake craze, but I haven't seen many which are both gluten free and vegan. My friend Dan is vegan and so obsessed with mug cake that she made a facebook page devoted to it.  Dan's other facebook group is called Dan's pictorial vegan recipes and consists of step by step vegan recipes using photos, just like these ones below. Recently when we visited she showed us how to make three different variations and kindly allowed us to blog about it. Sorry about the quality, I was using my phone. First the traditional chocolate one.

Start by using 1 heaped tablespoon of margarine

Place in a microwave for 30 seconds to melt.

Add 2 Tablespoons of gf self raising flour (we used orgran)

Add a tablespoon of cocoa
Add 2 tablespoons of sugar

Then a dash of vanilla essence
We used a small latte glass so the portion was smaller than her regular mug cake recipe. So double it if using a regular mug! Mix all together and microwave for 3 minutes. Please note cooking times vary, so watch closely and may need to check at 2 minutes.

And voila a cake!

Look how awesome the texture is. The chocolate versions remind me of chocolate pudding that we used to have at xmas time.

The second variation, involves using a tablespoon of caramel, we used this one. It was added at the end, right before we microwaved it.



The third variation was my fave! This one is called Berry Almond mug cake. You start with some frozen berrries.


Add some maple syrup.


Add 1 tablespoon of gf self raising flour, 1 tablespoon of almond meal and 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Stir and mix in mug but include bowl under mug.


See why it is important to use a bowl underneath.

You can then tip the mug upside down for an amazing almond berry cake. This is to die for!

                     

The hot berries go so well with this cake and the texture is fluffy just like regular cake.It is seriously one of the best things I have ever eaten.These recipes make me want to get a microwave.

11 comments:

  1. No way! This is crazy - I'm even more shocked that you could get it to work even though it was gf. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much awesomeness in this post! I'll be trying that berry almond one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These mug cakes look really good, I'm particularly interested in trying out the berry almond one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. microwaves are fantastic - I just love mine and use it all the time - I have tried mug cakes and loved them but also had some bad experiences with microwave baking so am a bit wary of it - these ones sounds great - chocolate and caramel - mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohmigosh! I grew up to be slightly afraid of microwaves, and I have been trying to befriend them for years now. This might just do the trick! Both the chocolate and berry versions look very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to throw in a microwave warning as they can vary a bit with cooking times. I tried to make a chocolate one for my son last night and it was burnt after 2 1/2 minutes and the kitchen was full of smoke! 2 minutes may be enough cooking time for some microwaves. I'll try it out again when the smell in my kitchen settles down ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *jumps up and down* I've been making the chocolate mug cake for my dad when I visit for months, but mum's always been left out as she's dairy and gluten-intolerant, and not hugely into chocolate cake. The berry almond one is going to put me in SUCH good books :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, with the almond meal version, is it just the gf flour, almond meal and sugar mixed into the berries and maple syrup, or is margarine involved somehow...? Forgive me for being obtuse! Beth :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth, your right, I missed it, should be marg in it. I think i might need to tweak it further though

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made the chocolate one... LOVED IT. Cooked mine for 2 minutes, but it went very crumbly. Was very delicious though!

    ReplyDelete