Monday, October 24, 2011

Lemon "cavier" pasta and Liebster Award- Vegan MOFO Day 24

IKEA has vegan cavier. Yes I kid you not!!!!! It's only a few dollars and surprisingly it tastes good. I'm not a fan of fish even when I used to eat it or mock fishy things but it is quite subtle with a slightly salty flavour. I've never had cavier before so didn't know what to do with it so I followed this recipe which was super easy. We also added a can of white beans and some baby spinach to make it a complete meal.

Lemon "Cavier" Pasta by If Martha was Veg

Servings:4

Ingredients:
Olive oil
1 bag of spaghetti (16 oz) 1 pack of gluten free pasta

1 stick of butter   1 Tablespoon of Margarine
3 lemons (2 to zest & juice for the pasta & 1 to slice very thinly to fry up)
Tangkorn aka vegan caviar from Ikea
1/4 cup of flour chickpea flour
Garlic powder
Vegetable oil
Salt & pepper to taste

While your water is boiling & your pasta is cooking, you can fry up your lemon slices.
In a small bowl, add your flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix. Coat your thinly sliced lemon slices in the mixture and in a pan, heat up some vegetable oil. Throw your lemon slices & and let them get brown & crispy!

When you’ve put together your pasta & caviar dish, add your crispy lemons and enjoy!

Unfortunately I lost my pictures of the meal, and while it tasted great and is worth making again, I don't have time to go to Ikea get more and make it again because this is vegan mofo and I'm trying to blog every day. So Instead I have these photos of the ingredients.





Zuckerbaby over at Tales of a Vegan Food Fetishist, has nominated me for the Liebster Award. I've watched a few aussie bloggers get the award and didn't think our blog was going to get nominated so was very pleasantly surprised thanks. Zuckerbaby has an amazing vegan dessert cookbook and will be bringing out a pie themed book with plenty of gluten free options.
 


“Liebster” is German and means ‘dearest’ or ‘beloved’ but it can also mean ‘favorite’. The idea behind this award is to bring attention to bloggers who have less than 200 followers and show your support during Vegan Mofo!

The rules of winning this award are as follows:
1. Show your thanks to those who gave you the award by linking back to them.
2. Reveal 5 of your top picks and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog.
3. Post the award on your blog.
4. Enjoy the love and support of some wonderful people on the www!

I doubt these bloggers have less than 200 followers but are just blogs that I have been enjoying reading during mofo, also I tried to choose blogs which I don't think have already been chosen:

1. Green Gourmet Giraffe, Johanna is vegetarian but has been posting amazing vegan food every day for vegan mofo, also I got to try some of it and it was damn tasty. Shes also the best commenter too not just here by on so many blogs, I don't know how she finds the time, but I think its so awesome.
2. Cake Maker to the Stars Kittee is like my xgfx hero, and while I didn't get to meet up with her in Portland, I did run into her in herbivore which was quite exciting. She's behind xgfx site too.
3. Louise by Degrees Louise is a fellow Melbournian too, her blog is quite new but really colourful, check out the heart shaped strawberries in her muffins.
4. Spabettie could easily be nominated for just her balsamic strawberry ice cream but she has lots of other yummy and inspiring recipes too.
5. Green Vegan Living- Geanna is super friendly fellow gluten free blogger who I did get to meet when I was in Portland, I love reading about what she does with her csa fruit and vegies each week.


 Only a week to go!!!

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea vegan caviar was available at Ikea and I don't know if it's even something I want to try!

    Congrats on the award :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegan caviar sounds just too bizarre - how do they do it!

    Congrats on the award - and many thanks for passing it on to me - and for your kind words - deserving of many comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, thanks for the award - it is my first, and feels lovely to be in such good company! Now I just have to think about who I will pick for my top 5! Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so freakin weird! I might have to give it a go. Vegan caviar at IKEA.. Gosh they have some strange things. Does it say what they're made of?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandee, its actually ok taste wise.

    Johanna and Louse, no worries, you both deserved it!

    Matthew, yes forgot to mention its made from seaweed.

    ReplyDelete