I made yogurt, yipppeee. I originally tried with a crappy plastic yogurt maker which I suspect to be quite similar to doing it in a pot and didn't work at all. But then I invested in a proper yogurt maker, I got a yolife yogurt maker which was bit more expensive but includes 7 small glass jars or you can use your own large jar. I was originally inspired by the fat fuelled vegan's post on it back in June. But given that his wasn't thick, decided to follow Bryanna Clark Grogans recipe a little more closely.
Soy Yogurt adapted very slightly and halved from Byranna's recipe here
5 cups of soymilk
1 T sugar
1/4 cup tapioca starch
3/4 t agar powder
5 Capsules of inner health plus-dairy free
need candy thermometer
- Sterilise Jars
- Add sugar, tapioca starch and agar powder to soy milk. Whisk well.
- Heat mixture over low heat while stirring. Turn off heat before milk reaches boiling point at about 176F-185F (80C).
- Let it cool to 104F (40C) This took about about 90 minutes to 2 hours. Just keep checking regularly.
- Empty capsules into mixture and whisk again.
- Add to jar/s
- Turn on yogurt maker and let is set for 9-12 hours.
- Place lids on jars and refrigerate for 12 hours.
We let it set about 13 hours due to a slight sleep in and it was nice and tart. The texture was pretty close, although still slightly watery in parts, there was a bit of condensation on the inside of the lid which I think got in the yogurt as we removed it in the morning. We have been enjoying it by mixing in frozen blueberries and a small amount of jam. Next I will experiment with coconut yogurt and try using it in savoury dishes.
This was surprisingly easy to make but does take lots of waiting, so will be a regular weekend thing I think!