Thursday, November 18, 2010

Scrambled Tofu With Chinese Pickled Turnip and Cantonese Congee- Vegan Mofo Day 18

When I was a kid, my mum always made me fried eggs with Chinese picked turnip (check out this picture from Taiwanpedia).  It is a popular home cooking dish in Fujian, Taiwanese and Chiuchow cuisine. I loved this dish even it was very high in cholesterol.  
A visit to Minh Phat in Richmond inspired me to make a vegan version with simple scrambled tofu and Chinese pickled turnip.

 
Ingredients (serve two):

1 tablespoon of canola oil
A pack of 500g dry tofu, scumbled
(I use Yenson's, 53.5 g protein per block)
Handful of Chinese Pickled Turnip, finely chopped 
Dash of soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free option)
Salt and pepper to taste
Grounded turmeric to taste 
Savoury yeast flakes to taste 

*Heat oil on a non-stick fry pan, put it on medium 
*Add tofu, pickled turnip and soy sauce to the pan and keep stiring
*slowly add turmeric while stiring until you get the eggy colour
*keep cooking for 5 minutes
*Add savoury yeast flakes to taste, I recommended 3 tablespoons
*Add salt and cracked pepper to taste

I made some congee to go with it, using Thai jasmine broken rice.

Ingredients  

1 cup Thai jasmine broken rice (good for making congee)
10 cup water
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon oil

*Wash and drain the rice, mix it with oil and salt in a big pot, let it sit for a while
*Add water and bring to boil on high and turn down to low, simmer for an hour or so.  Give it a stir every now and then.  


I ate the congee with some mock 'pork' floss from the vegetarian section of Mix Oriental Supermarket (293-295 Barkly Street, Brunswick/Tel:03 9388 8831).  It was pretty good but I hate the fact that there were too much packaging.    



On My Walkman:
The Best Of (Remastered) - Suede

1 comment:

  1. I am just starting my day here and saw your post... I'm drooling wish it was in my kitchen now :).

    ReplyDelete