Friday, January 15, 2010

The greatest gluten free vegan ice cream EVER

This is my fav ice cream, EVER, yes really EVER!!!!! I'm a little obsessed with the amazing peanut butter chocolate combination, and have tried it in lots of forms like peanut butter truffles, and peanut butter oreo truffles, peanut butter chocolate cupcakes , cannonballs/buckeyes and peanut butter cups but I have finally found my favourite way to combine peanut butter and chocolate with ice cream. The melted chocolate gives it a lovely rich flavour which really compliments the crunchy peanut butter, I heart ice cream with a bit of crunch rather than regular smooth ice cream. It is soooooooo good that it seriously makes gluten free living seem easier because I could easily live on this ice cream. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that this ice cream only lasted me 4 days and Toby didn't even have any since he is a little over the peanut butter-chocolate combination which was fine since it meant that I could eat it all.

Chocolate peanut butter swirl ice cream from the vegan scoop:

1 c. soy creamer (i used soy milk)
1c. soy milk
3/4 c. sugar
2 T. arrowroot
1 T. vanilla extract
1/2 c. chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)
3/4 peanut butter (go crunchy for the awesome nutty texture)
1/4 cocoa powder

Mix ¼ cup of soy milk with the arrowroot and set aside.

Mix the soy creamer, remaining soy milk, sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat. Bring to a boil. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and immediately stir in the arrowroot cream. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken.

Stir in vanilla extract.

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. It will take at least a few hours in the fridge. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Add peanut butter during the last few minutes of freezing.

My ice cream maker didn't swirl it very well though, so I mixed it up with a fork.

I am so going to work myself through the other recipes in this awesome book, but since I have already posted two of the recipes online, I really should stop there.

6 comments:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree that any chocolate peanut butter combination is just heaven. Pure and simple heaven. I'm so desperate to make this I can't stand it, and it's worse because it'll be so long until I do! First stop, get home after travelling (in a few months' time), second stop, buy ice cream maker...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing. When I was growing up we often went to a local dairy/convenience store chain with a great variety of ice creams, and my favourite ever flavour was choc peanut butter cup, which was chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirls and little bits of candy. SO yum. I need to get an ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this icecream makes me sort of want an icecream machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, I feel your pain, when I was living abroad I really wanted to get a food processor and lots of other appliances.

    Theresa, what types of candy?

    You can make it without an ice cream using this method, it just won't be as smooth and requires a bit more effort:

    up to 2 hours, checking on it after 1 hour. The reason it can take longer than an hour is when a recipe mixture has had cooked ingredients added, therefore thorough chilling will take longer.

    Take the bowl out of the fridge and transfer to the freezer for about half an hour. Then check just how much the mixture has frozen - ideally, it should have started to freeze at the edges but not fully through to the centre.

    Take the bowl out of the freezer and beat the ice cream mixture until it’s creamy once again (to dislodge and break up the ice crystals that have formed).

    Put it back in the freezer for another half hour, then remove and once again beat with a whisk.

    Do this again so that you have beaten the mixture a total of 3 times whilst freezing in between.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kristy, I might give this a try! It was choc-peanut butter cups mixed into the choc-peanut butter swirl, and it was perfect. So chocolatey, so peanut buttery, so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Theresa, that sounds amazing!

    I just realised that i chopped off the top of the instructions, but you can find them here:

    http://www.ice-cream-recipes.com/without_ice_cream_maker.htm

    ReplyDelete