Sunday, November 28, 2010

Fudge Babies and Sandwiches- Vegan Mofo Day 28

I stumbled Chocolate Covered Katie's Fudge Babies and was intrigued, exactly how good could cocoa powder, dates and cashews combined taste?

Katie has various flavours on her blog, so I made a double batch of the hot chocolate fudge babies so I could experiment with a couple.

Hot Chocolate fudge babies
  • 30 grams cashews
  • 80 grams dates
  • 5 grams (1T) dark cocoa powder ( i used regular cocoa powder)

1. Chop/blend all the ingredients, using a food processor, Magic Bullet, etc. 
2. Roll into cutey-pie little balls or make sandwiches.  (Use plastic wrap if you need to.)

First I just followed the standard recipe above and used bunny cookie cutters to cut out bunnies.


Then I added some peanut butter and made sandwiches. They did look cute but I felt like the date flavour kind of overpowered the other flavours.



So then I made two types of balls or 'babies' as she calls them.  First I added choc chips and simply rolled into balls. For the last batch I put the mixture with the choc chips back into the food processor and added as sprinkling of cinnamon and golden syrup. The last batch was by far my favourite. The cinnamon and golden syrup watered down the date flavour a little and the choc chips were cut down a little which meant that there was more chocolate bits. It just resulted in a such a nice combination. I think maple syrup would have been good too but we didn't have any. They are definitely a lot healthier than other desserts I normally make and they do remind me of lara bars. I think these would make a great traveling snack too.


7 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to make these for aaaages, but have put it off because I wasn't sure whether they need fancy-pants medjool dates, or whether I could make them with supermarket pitted dates. Which did you use?

    I'm definitely going to try your golden syrup addition. Cinnamon's already a given in my book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, the bunnies are cute! I like making my own Larabars but these sound like more of a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with anything containing cinnamon, sweet or savoury. What about a Mexican chilli chocolate combination?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, I just used regular supermarket dates.

    Mandee, they taste even better after a few days in the fridge.

    Georgie, that sounds awesome. Will try next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look soooo good. i've been making something similar that also has a bunch of nuts and seeds (hazelnuts, flax, chia....) so they become sort of a vegan energy ball (great for travelling).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shawna, chia seeds sound great, what recipe do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am such a doofus! I went straight into the kitchen after reading the ingredient list, and now regret not throwing in a dash of cinnamon or perhaps even some peanut butter straight into the mixture!!

    ReplyDelete