Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Green Thai Curry with Baked Tofu-Vegan Mofo Day 9

It was my turn to cook on Sunday night so I decided to go with something quite lazy and easy: green Thai curry using store brought curry paste. I used Thai Gourmet brand (from Coles) which is both gluten free and vegan. This was so simple and pretty much just followed the recipe on the back of the jar x 2, I'm not sure if it even worth posting it but basically I added 3-4 teaspoons of curry paste, fried up some onions and then added 2 cans of coconut milk and then added veggies (mostly asparagus) and cook until the asparagus was tender. I initially started with a small amount of curry paste (1 teaspoon) in case it was too spicy but it was fine so we added more.



To go with it, I made some baked tofu from Vegan Planet. This is my favourite baked tofu that I have tried.

Baked Tofu 

  • 1 16 ounce (450gram) firm tofu drained
  • 1/3 cup tamari
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons of sesame oil (I think I used 1)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice

  1. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch slices.
  2. In a small bowl combine the rest of the ingredients
  3. Place tofu into bowl and pour marinade over it, cover and refrigerated for at least 3 hours, turning once.
  4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove marinade from tofu and bake until brown and firm, about an hour. Turning once about halfway through.
Cheat's version (what I did):
skip the marinade part and just bake with the marinade sauce, it ends up being full of flavour and nice and salty. You might want to lower the soy sauce if you are not into salt though.

I liked the addition of the tofu to the curry, although still think it's better in a sandwich. 




I've been craving roti since I last posted about the roti and dips at Zen Zero Blue so I asked on twitter if anyone knows of some vegan brands of roti bread. Steph come to the rescue and told me that Kawan is vegan. I found this at Minh Phat but she said you can also get it from the Asian supermarket at Barkly Square. 



So easy, just take out of wrapper and fry for a few minutes on each side it become crispy and flakey. I didn't even use oil. It went perfectly with the Thai curry. So all together it nothing fancy or difficult but still quite delicious



2 comments:

  1. "Nothing fancy"? I recently ate cold smoked tofu wrapped in a sheet of nori, just because I was hungry and too lazy to cook. Haha!
    Seriously, the tofu and curry looks delicious. I wish I could have some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It was pretty tasty. I'll send some in the post to you.

    ReplyDelete