Vegan Vanilla Slice -original recipe from IVU, a Melbourne woman actually posted it.
- 2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 3/4 cup fine cornflour
- 1/2 cup custard powder
- 1 litre fortified soymilk
- 60g milk-free margarine
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
When cool, flatten sheets with hands and set aside. 2. Combine sugar, cornflour, custard powder in saucepan and gradually stir in milk, stir until smooth.
3. Add margarine, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens.(It will be very very thick, almost like paste)
4. Remove from heat and stir in essence.
5. Place one sheet of pastry in 23cm slab tin (we used a 20cm square tin which was the perfect size).
6. Pour custard over pastry sheet in slab tin.
Even out and place other pastry sheet on top.
Press down firmly.
Refrigerate until cool.
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp milk-free margarine
- pulp from one passion fruit (We copied Cindy and used 3)
- 1 tsp water
Spread onto slices with a knife dipped in hot water.
Return to fridge to set before cutting. Done!