Thursday, November 4, 2010

OMG Choc Honeycomb aka Vegan Crunchie- Vegan Mofo Day 4




I was inspired after trying the raw chocolate bars at world vegan day and having a discussion with Eve about how honeycomb doesn't normally use honey to make this. I started googling recipes and found out that she is right, why aren't more vegans making and blogging about honeycomb? Actually scratch that, I just found Cindy's post here. I'm not sure how I missed that back in 2009!

So I set out to make my own vegan version of a crunchie or is a violet crumble, I can't remember what the difference is????

Vegan Crunchie I used this recipe for the honeycomb


4 tablespoons golden syrup
1 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 cup of choc chips


1. Grease a 20 cm (or smaller size if possible) square cake tin or slice tray.

2. In a large saucepan, heat the golden syrup and sugar together, bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes. Cooking time will vary but test it by dropping a little syrup into water-it should become brittle when ready. Watch it doesn't burn.

3. Remove pot from heat and add the bicarb soda. Quickly mix it in because the mixture will foam up instantly. Pour immediately into the cake tin. Leave to set.






4. Once cooled remove honeycomb and place on plate or other surface, while melting chocolate in double boiler. Put a thin layer of chocolate in bottom of original pan. Next time I will use baking paper first!

5. Put honeycomb on top of first chocolate layer and add more melted chocolate on top. Let it set (not in the fridge).


It was so so so so awesome, almost exactly like I remembered a violet crumble or cunchie tasting. Although next time I will do a few things differently to get the texture perfect and making cutting easier like using a smaller pan to get thicker bits, using baking paper before putting the choc on the bottom. Also, the texture was a bit too chewy which I think was due to overcooking it slightly or refrigerating it. I'm so excited about the idea of incorporating it in other things like veganising this violet crumble ice cream and caramel violet crumble cake.

22 comments:

  1. OMG NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I L.O.V.E honeycomb and have missed it since going vegan . I am definitely trying this TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have tried this a bunch of times and never really achieved anything but mess and an impossible-to-clean kitchen. It's always been okay, but always chewy or thin or wrong. I can't remember if we've been using the same recipe, so maybe we'll have at this one - but if you tweak it and find it better please post again! I miss Crunchies. (Which, if not for the chocolate, still contain gelatin...booooo.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum YUM! Funny that you forgot about me doing this - I'm pretty sure some of the November 2009 batch made it into that bag of amusements for your overseas trip (or maybe I ditched it 'cause of the wet weather? hmmm). Presumably your were away when I blogged it.

    Anyway, as I said in my post - this stuff goes bad in wet conditions (and possibly also fridge conditions?) and commercial honeycomb makers closely guard the methods they use to extend its shelf life. When I went on the Cadbury tour a few years ago, they wouldn't let us see the Crunchies being made! So I'm not sure how home-made honeycomb would go mixed in to icecream. But it would be AWESOME freshly crushed on top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! It has never even occurred to me before to make honeycomb, but it looks quite simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never heard of Violet Crumble or Crunchies before, but these look so good! I'll have to try them over the holidays when I'm making loads of candy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all kinds of awesome! I remember crunchies lovingly so this excites me beyond words.
    Thank you for posting this I've also made notes of what you'd do differently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tahn, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

    Fiona, I'm pretty sure this would be fine as long a you cook it with a candy thermometer which I might invest in next time.

    Cindy, definitely not in the bag, I would have remembered :-) I might do a trial mixed in store bought ice cream to see how it goes.

    Vicki, I know, I was the same.

    Hell yeah, I think there might be a different name in the US, although I'm not sure what??

    ReplyDelete
  8. actually I tried the honeycomb tim tam yesterday so I am sure it would be great in biscuits - maybe choc chip and honeycomb cookies?

    I have remembered cindy's post a few times but feel I need to have lots of time and energy and courage to try it

    ReplyDelete
  9. The difference is that Crunchies are tasty, and Violet Crumbles are like styrofoam ;)

    You've completely reminded me that I've been meaning to amke honeycomb for months, but completely didn't realise it is vegan! Hurrah indeed! I wonder if it's possible to flavour the honeycomb with spices, too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY GOSH! So awesome!!!
    I deffinately have this on my to make list now. I still have to make the vegan marshmallow kit marshmallows I bought a while back, have you ever tried them?

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. jenni, I hope it works for you perfectly!

    Johanna, it really is quite easy. The hard part is waiting for it to set.

    Hannah, thanks for clarifying the difference between the two :-)

    Rose, I've only used it to make marshmallow spread, it tasted pretty good but not sure what the marshmallow texture is lile

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOOOO vegan honeycomb! Delicious. How great thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks amazing. I'll probably have to ruin a pan, but who cares?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found some vegan honeycomb locally but this looks way better. I can think of nothing nice than being able to make it myself .... THANK YOU very very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always called it Sea Foam, haha. Either way, I'm really excited to try making it. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always called it Angel Food candy and it is vegan. The chocolate coating might not be. I get Eillien's brand in Green Bay, Wisconsin with the dark chocolate coating that is vegan, you can only it in the winter because it doesn't keep in the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. omgoshimavegan, thanks! Btw, I love your blog name.

    forkedpdh, if I can do it, I am sure you can do it. If you want to be sure though you could use a candy therometer.

    Kit Lapin and gbvegan so interesting that it has so many different names

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing!! candy making is so fun and exciting. I think you're probably right that the chewiness came from the refrigerator... probably too moist in there. But, wow, the results look quite glorious. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks next time I am going to use a thermometer and not refrigerate it so hopefully it's perfect

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks awesome! I'm sure it tastes great too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I. Love. You.

    I can't wait to try this :D

    ReplyDelete