Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gluten Free Bubble Slice -Vegan MoFo day 16

This dish was inspired by Cindy in two ways. First, she blogged about the vegan bubble slice which I got try and it was delicious. Second, Cindy and Michael packed this amazing flight pack for us which combined magazines, snacks and more before our overseas flight last year. It was so so so thoughtful and sweet. It's so great to have vegan snacks on flights because we always tend to be starving and how I would like to repay the favour, or rather pay it forward.

I finally got the chance with some friends going overseas and I thought the bubble slice would be perfect flying snack.

Toby bought gluten free rice bubbles (or rice krispies as known in the US) because he thought that they sounded healthier, it did mean that they didn't hold together quite as well but tasted just as good, quick to make and I thought would make a good travelling snack.

Things didn't quite go to plan though. Yesterday I prepared everything and drove over to there house when I knew they weren't home and left the package all wrapped up on their front door step, expecting them to go home and find it. It got quite late and didn't hear anything back which I thought was a little weird, so I messaged one of them this morning and said "did you get it?" and got a reply "got what?", so I explained that the package that I left at their front door. They said that they didn't go home last night and were now at the airport. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.



Vegan g/f bubble slice

5 cups gluten free rice bubbles (regular rice bubbles/krispies are superior but not g/f)
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
125g Nuttelex/margarine
4 tablespoons golden syrup
4 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

In a large bowl, stir together the rice bubbles and coconut.
In a small-medium saucepan, melt the Nuttelex, golden syrup, peanut butter and sugar. Bring them to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Pour the caramel mixture over the dry ingredients and combine thoroughly. Press the mixture into a small baking tray, using the back of a spoon to smooth over the surface. Refrigerate until set, then cut into squares.

 

5 comments:

  1. Oh that's a shame they didn't get it, more for you and Toby!

    I've never made anything like this but now I will, it looks great!

    (Sorry if this show up twice, the page went weird after I clicked post)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yes! I've been planning to make rice crispy treats forever but never actually gotten around to do it. Just you wait, world...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a kind gesture - what a shame it didn't quite get to the airport but maybe your friends will be heartened by your kind thoughts when they are faced with all the rubbish plane food

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! How hilariously terrible that they didn't get the package! This looks one step up from the peanut butter rice bubble slice I made recently... I'll definitely be making this soon! Love easy recipes that involve peanut butter :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandee, it didn't show up twice. Unfortunately, I still haven't had a chance to go back and pick it up and it would have been bad by the time I figured it out anyway. So wasted food!

    phoenixdreaming, it's so easy!

    Johanna, I messaged them and said that they should just imagine that they have it on the flight with them

    Hannah, the peanut butter is very subtle, a good way to slip into unsuspecting peanut butter haters :-)

    ReplyDelete